80 evacuated from shopping centre
UPDATE 4.40pm: MORE than 80 people were evacuated from a shopping centre this afternoon.
Firefighters were called to Ocean Village Shopping Centre on Rajah Rd at Ocean Shores just before 12pm.
A Fire and Rescue spokesman said there was no sign of fire but crews spent some time investigating.
"The initial reports say there was a burning smell coming from a roof cavity," she said.
"Six people were evacuated from a pharmacy."
She said a further 80 people, including staff and customers, were evacuated by police.
"Our crew went up into the roof space and found there was no fire or hot spots," she said.
She said gas detectors found "no adverse readings" from the air, although there was "some sort of odour coming from one of the shops".
"We investigated and found there was no gas leak of anything like that," she said.
She said crews continued to monitor the centre's atmosphere but deemed the area safe and left the scene about 2pm.
Original story: FIRE crews have been called to a North Coast shopping centre.
A Fire and Rescue NSW spokesman said two crews from Brunswick Heads were called to the Ocean Village Shopping Centre in Ocean Shores just before 12pm.
He said the initial reports were of a "burning smell in a roof cavity".
He said it was believed people had been evacuated from a pharmacy at the centre.
"They would have evacuated some of the shops," he said.
He said police were at the scene and paramedics had also been called to the incident.
A NSW Ambulance spokesman said three ambulances were originally called to the scene, but two were cancelled en route.
He said one ambulance was at the scene as a precaution.
"We're just on standby," he said.
"There's no reports of anyone being injured."
The Rural Fire Service has also attended the scene, on Rajah Rd.