Anthony Seibold says he will be at Redfern in 2019. Picture. Phil Hillyard
Anthony Seibold says he will be at Redfern in 2019. Picture. Phil Hillyard

Seibold denies rift with players as he prepares to front up at Redfern

ANTHONY Seibold insists he still intends on coaching South Sydney in 2019, denying suggestions he has fallen out of favour with the playing group.

Seibold is due to return to work at the Rabbitohs on Wednesday, with the Brisbane-bound mentor's swap with Wayne Bennett not due until the end of next season.

It's reported that a deal could be brokered between the two clubs to swap coaches for next year, after Bennett signed for Souths for 2020 in the chaotic post-season merry-go-round.

Rabbitohs legend Bob McCarthy was one of several ex-players to question how the two coaches can remain at their clubs next season, particularly given the amount of advanced planning that goes into NRL teams.

But Seibold said on Monday he planned to front for work at Redfern with a view to continuing preparations for 2019 at Souths, having already planned the pre-season.

"I'm going to coach my backside off until I'm told otherwise," he told News Corp Australia.

"Ultimately, I don't think the decision is mine. I've got my contract here and I intend to see that out."

Anthony Seibold and Wayne Bennett could switch in 2019.
Anthony Seibold and Wayne Bennett could switch in 2019.

Seibold also claimed he could continue working honestly with Rabbitohs players and administrators, maintaining he'd acted in good faith throughout his negotiations with the Broncos.

It comes as reports surfaced suggesting players were unhappy with his decision after his rookie season at the club, where he took the team to the preliminary finals.

"I've got an extremely good relationship with the players - I sat at the same table as many of them at Damien Cook's wedding last week," Seibold said.

"Some of the messages and conversations I've had with them, they understand my decision from a personal point of view."