Emergency services were called to rescue a man whose tinny had capsized off Brunswick Heads.
Emergency services were called to rescue a man whose tinny had capsized off Brunswick Heads.

'Very lucky': Crews set to retrieve man's capsized boat

UPDATE, 10.30am: MARINE Rescue's Ballina vessel will today attempt to retrieve a boat that capsized north of Brunswick Heads yesterday.

Rescue crews said the boat's owner, a 74-year-old man, was "very lucky" that he wasn't seriously hurt or killed in the incident.

The 4.3m tinny capsized north-east of Brunswick Heads and, during a large-scale search, a trawler found the man sitting on the hull.

He was wearing a life jacket.

It is understood the boat capsized because of the choppy conditions.


EARLIER: A MAN has been rescued after his boat capsized off the state's North Coast yesterday.

Officers from Tweed-Byron Police District were contacted about 4pm by the NSW Police Marine Area Command after a man was reported missing by a family member.

Police have been told just before 7am the same day, a 74-year-old man left on a boat from Dry Dock Road, Tweed Heads, and failed to return home.

Officers attended and commenced a joint search involving the Westpac Live Saver Rescue Helicopter, Queensland Water Police Southport, and Volunteer Marine Rescue.

Just after 6pm, emergency services were directed to a capsized boat by a nearby fishing vessel.

The man was located standing on the capsized boat, before being rescued and brought to shore at Tweed Heads.

He was treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics for minor lacerations and dehydration.

Senior officers would like to commend members of the public and emergency services for their assistance with the rescue operation.


ORIGINAL STORY: A MAN who was reported missing after he was trapped on the water for three hours has been found safe.

Just after 6pm, a trawler operator contacted Marine Rescue to report he had come across a capsized boat south of Point Danger with a man sitting on the hull.

It is understood Marine Rescue were already searching for the boat after it failed to return after several hours.

The trawler operator assisted with the rescue and provided warm blankets and water for the man, who was the sole occupant of the vessel.

It is believed the Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter was also called to assist.

The man is believed to be in good condition with minor scratches to his legs.