Police and public frustration continues to rise after more senseless behaviour on roads.
Police and public frustration continues to rise after more senseless behaviour on roads.

NSW road toll at nine after Coffs Harbour motorcyclist dies

THE NSW road toll remains at nine after the death of a motorcyclist on Saturday.

The Coffs Harbour man aged in his 60s was riding a motorcycle north on the Summerland Way near Whiporie (north of Grafton) when involved in a collision with a Mazda utility.

Despite the efforts of emergency services personnel on site, the motorcyclist died at the scene.

Police advise double demerit points will be in place until 11.59pm on Tuesday for speeding, seatbelt and helmet offences, as operation Safe Arrival continues.

On Day 9, police conducted 41,139 breath tests (up from 39,285 last year), with 34 charges laid (down from 98 last year).

Police caught 943 people speeding (up from 723 last year) and issued 1014 traffic infringements for other offences (down from 1178 last year).

However, police and passing motorists remain shocked by the illogical and life-threatening behaviour that nobody seems to be able to bring under control.

In the latest example of total disregard for the safety of other motorists, a 17-year-old female is alleged to have created mayhem on the Pacific Highway by putting herself at the centre of a high speed pursuit before her eventual arrest.

Highway patrol officers from two local area commands became involved in the chase.

While driving a Queensland registered Hyundai Elantra reported stolen during a break and enter, she allegedly reached speeds in excess of 170km/h and made multiple attempts to flee by driving into oncoming traffic - north in southbound lanes and then south in northbound lanes - up to four times in efforts to escape capture.

The pursuit was terminated for safety reasons each time the female drove into oncoming traffic with officers keeping the situation monitored.

The driver was eventually captured after police closed down an entire stretch of the Pacific Highway and waited with road spikes ready.

It's believed the girl noticed the trap, dumped the car and fled on foot but was captured a short time later.

Police have been praised for their handling of the incident with no members of the public injured or property damaged.