Chris and Kathy Abbott pictured in 2014 with children Emily, Phoebe and Noah.
Chris and Kathy Abbott pictured in 2014 with children Emily, Phoebe and Noah. Tony Martin

Much loved mum of three loses diabetes fight

MUCH loved Moranbah mum, wife and friend Kathy Abbott has died after a long battle with type 1 diabetes and renal failure.

"Unfortunately Kathy lost her fight Monday night and she can now rest in peace with no more suffering and pain," her supporters' Facebook page 'Kathy Abbott's Fight' posted tonight.

"Thank-you to everybody for the love and support you have shown over the years. Kathy will be an inspiration to many and never forgotten. In memory of a loving mother and wife, daughter and daughter in-law, sister and sister in-law, aunty, cousin and a friend to many Kathy Abbott xoxo"

In February, the Daily Mercury reported that her dad Peter Hawton would donate one of his kidneys in the hope their shared genes would lead to a higher chance of success after a failed dual transplant.

The Moranbah community has rallied behind the Abbott family, holding charity golf days and other events to raise money for their health costs.


I would like to wish one of my best friends Kathy Abbott a Happy Mothers Day, unfortunately looks like she will be spending it in hospital. This beautiful soul is fighting against type one diabetes. Has spent most of the years in and out of hospital with tubes hanging out of her body has had several heart attacks, been on life support, had her legs amputated and has had a dual transplant which failed not to mention the list of other obsticals thrown at her. This mothers day does not look like a
Kathy Abbott, husband Chris and kids Noah, Emily and Phoebe.

The 32-year-old mother of three was accepted for a vital pancreas and kidney transplant late last year and was looking forward to a new life with husband Chris, son Noah and twin daughters Emily and Phoebe.

"I have three beautiful kids I just want to go home to," she told the Mercury earlier this year.

"We don't know what happened, for 20 days it all worked perfectly then I started to get sick and the doctors told me I had an acute rejection in my kidneys so they had to take it out and start my dialysis again.

"The doctors were totally baffled because everything was going so well.

"I've been going through this for four years now and our family is really struggling, we're just hoping for some kind of positive news soon."

Over the years, the mum-of-three had suffered a heart attack, pneumonia and collapsed lung and two partial leg amputations.

Mrs Abbott was receiving dialysis treatment at Mackay Base Hospital.