How the Bourke St terror attack unfolded
AN attacker who stabbed a man to death has died after being shot by police in a terrorist incident on a central Melbourne street.
"We are treating this as a terrorism incident," Victorian police chief commissioner Graham Ashton said on Friday night.
MELBOURNE TERROR ATTACK VICTIMS
A man in his 60s died at the scene, while two other victims are in hospital after being stabbed in the upper body by a man shot dead by police
.@MatthewGuyMP on the Bourke Street incident: I’ll never accept that violent extremism should be a way of life for a big city like Melbourne. All the resources of our state should be directed towards keeping Victorians safe.— Sky News Australia (@SkyNewsAust) November 9, 2018
MORE: https://t.co/ykweMevBOK #newsnight pic.twitter.com/akwgW6PwJo
Police responded to reports of a vehicle on fire in Melbourne's CBD about 4.10pm on Friday
The utility was found alight on the corner of Bourke and Swanston streets, a busy shopping area in the heart of the city
Officers were confronted by a man brandishing a knife and making threats.
Passers-by told them three members of the public had been stabbed.
An officer shot the man who was taken to Royal Melbourne Hospital under police guard, where he later died.
He has been identified as someone known to police and who came to Australia from Somalia in the 1990s
Streets were cordoned off and people are asked to avoid the area until at least 8am on Saturday/
The bomb response unit attended to conduct safety checks on the vehicle.
WHAT TO DO
- Witnesses are asked to attend Melbourne west Police Station on Spencer Street
- Those with footage or images are asked to upload them to https:vpupload.fotoware.com.au
- Anyone with information is asked to phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
It is normal for people to have strong emotional or physical reactions following a distressing or frightening event. People can seek help and advice by visiting your local doctor or calling:
• Lifeline 13 11 14
• GriefLine 1300 845 745
• BeyondBlue 1300 224 636
Source: Victoria Police
THE THIRD ATTACK IN LESS THAN TWO YEARS
* BOURKE STREET JANUARY 20, 2017 A car is driven down the Bourke Street Mall, killing six people and injuring 27. James Gargasoulas, 28, is standing trial over the attack having pleaded not guilty to murder and reckless conduct
* FLINDERS STREET DECEMBER 21, 2017 A car mows down pedestrians outside Flinders Street Station, knocking over 16 pedestrians including an elderly man who later died. Saeed Noori, 33, is ordered to stand trial on murder and attempted murder charges
* BOURKE STREET 2018 A ute bursts into flames on Bourke Street. One man nearby is stabbed to death. A knife-wielding man is shot by police and taken to hospital, with two other people suffering injuries.