Highway horror has not ended

STILL reeling from the trauma of Sunday's tragic events at Urunga, Rachael Navin and her partner Chris Eastwood, are struggling to find a place to resettle.

Together with Chris' 18-year-old son, Lachlan Compton-Bell and his friend, Kyle Anthorp, it was their flat that was destroyed by the B-double when it careered off the Pacific Hwy and continued into the house behind, killing 11 year-old Max MacGregor.

"We've been able to stay with my parents who live over the road but we really need to find somewhere away from the highway," Ms Navin said.

"Yesterday morning a truck locked up out the front of the house and both Chris and I freaked out.

"I've tried the local real estate agents and the Department of Housing but we've had no luck so far and I feel like I've exhausted all the avenues I can think of."

Ms Navin said they had retrieved what they could from the crash site but every trip across the highway was daunting.

"I've retrieved some clothes and found some jewellery but at this point we are really not worried too much about possessions - we feel so very grateful and lucky to be here."

"Everyone in the community has been very helpful - the Op Shop has offered to help us out with furniture when we find somewhere, which is awesome.

"We are all exhausted and feeling the effects of the trauma and stress - we are not sleeping at all."

It is understood the house, which was divided into four apartments, has been condemned and is due to be demolished soon.

There were three other tenants living there, all of whom are now searching for new accommodation.

If you can help out with accommodation for the family, phone Rachael on 0401 726 322.