Group 2 inquiry still open
GROUP 2 Rugby League chief administrator Jim Anderson has confirmed the inquiry remains open into a series of incidents at Kempsey on July 8.
The reserve grade match between Macleay Valley and Coffs Harbour was abandoned just before the scheduled half time break.
By that stage two players from each side had been sent off by referee Jim Thompson, following on from six previous sin-binnings in that first stanza.
Two of the players sent off became involved in a fight on the walkway leading to the dressing rooms, while a spectator sitting nearby in the grandstand is alleged to have thrown a bottle at officials before up-ending a rubbish bin onto the field of play.
The bottle hit a Coffs Harbour official in the head.
It then bounced on to a Macleay Valley official and disintegrated upon hitting the ground, with the Macleay official later receiving medical attention.
On Tuesday night, the Macleay club was handed a $3000 suspended fine, while one of the players sent off received a two match suspension at a judiciary hearing held on Thursday.
The cases involving the three remaining players are due to be finalised in the coming week.
Anderson said the player alleged to have sparked the fight in the walkway had been cited and charged with misconduct under the disciplinary code.
"We are also looking at video of the match and if there's anybody else who should be wheeled in, we'll decide about it later," he said.
"From what I can see it was all over pretty quick and there wasn't much more to it."
He added there could be some difficulty taking action against the spectator in the grandstand alleged to have been involved in the bottle and bin throwing incidents.
While it's believed the identity of the person is known and police are continuing to look into the incident, Anderson said no witnesses have yet come forward to formally identify him.
"I have been given a name but until you can prove that was the person we don't have much to go on," Anderson said.
Macleay officials insist the entire episode was sparked by Comets reserve grade players making disparaging remarks against indigenous members of the Mustangs team.
It has further been claimed that media reports overstated the seriousness of the incidents.