KING OF THE MOUNTAIN: Holden driver Will Davison (left) of the Tekno Autosports team celebrates with his crew after winning the Bathurst 1000.
KING OF THE MOUNTAIN: Holden driver Will Davison (left) of the Tekno Autosports team celebrates with his crew after winning the Bathurst 1000. Robert Cianflone

Davison survives carnage to snag second win at Bathurst

MOTORSPORT: Will Davison is back on top of the Supercars mountain.

The 34-year-old edged Supercars series leader Shane Van Gisbergen to win his second Bathurst 1000.

A late three-car crash involving Jamie Whincup, Scott McLaughlin and Garth Tander, and a handful of safety-car interventions, threw the race wide open as strategies flew out the window seemingly every couple of laps.

Van Gisbergen, who maintains his championship lead, was hurt by having to stick behind Red Bull Racing teammate Jamie Whincup in the pits.

Davison, who replaced Van Gisbergen at the small-budget Tekno Autosport team, took full advantage alongside co-driver Jonathan Webb.

With Van Gisbergen breathing down his neck over the final lap, Davison held on to claim the chequered flag seven years after first experiencing success on the track where his grandfather Lex Davison won the Australian Grand Prix in 1958.

"That was so stressful,” a relieved Davison told Fox Sports. "I ran out of fuel as I crossed the line.

"(We) started 17 ... I knew we were quick, but I can't believe the way that panned out.”

Davison won with Garth Tander in 2009 as part of the Holden Racing Team. He was back in a Holden for his latest triumph but this time with the far smaller one-car Tekno Autosports team.

"To do it with such a little team, it's just phenomenal,” he said.

"Webby did an amazing job.

"It's just really special to cross that line (in first place).”

With a handful of laps remaining the race was thrown into chaos as Whincup and his Holden dive-bombed Scott McLaughlin at the end of Conrod Straight, firing the Volvo off the circuit.

Whincup slowed to allow McLaughlin to rejoin in front and avoid conceding a penalty but in doing so held up Garth Tander's Holden.

As McLaughlin rejoined the circuit all three cars touched, sending the Kiwi and Tander into the wall and ending their races.

Whincup was handed a 15-second time penalty to end any hopes of him winning.

Mark Winterbottom got stuck in a sand trap, ending his race, which prompted a safety car just outside the fuel window to get home.

It took more than half the race for the first safety car to come out. It was deployed on lap 93 when Andrew Jones suffered a heavy crash at the top of the Mountain.

Jones walked from the crash but the impact caused severe damage to the Team BOC Holden.

Whincup and co-driver Paul Dumbrell had in excess of a 30-second lead at the time.

The third car, alongside those of Van Gisbergen and Whincup, in the Triple Eight Racing stable, that of Craig Lowndes and Steven Richards, suffered a freak gear-shift problem that saw the Team Vortex Holden drop half a dozen laps and fall out of contention in the first quarter of the race.

The Ford of Chaz Mostert and Steve Owen had been as high as second but lost 30 seconds when the brake pressure didn't come up after a pad change.

Lee Holdsworth's Holden was forced out of the race with an engine issue on the opening lap.


1 W. Davison/J. Webb Holden Commodore VF 161 6:19:25.3237

2 S. Van Gisbergen/A. Premat Holden Commodore VF 161 6:19:25.4671

3 N. Percat/C. McConville Holden Commodore VF 161 6:19:28.1791

4 C. Waters/J. Le Brocq Ford Falcon FG/X 161 6:19:28.5588

5 S. Pye/T. D'Alberto Ford Falcon FG/X 161 6:19:29.1452