Charges against Coffs Harbour couple upgraded to murder
A COFFS Harbour couple arrested in relation to a fatal assault at the Coffs Harbour Jetty have today had their charges upgraded to murder.
Coffs Clarence detectives, under the banner of Strikeforce Trahair, took the man and woman into custody at their home on Spagnolos Rd this morning.
They had earlier been charged on lesser offences in relation to a fatal assault on a 50-year-old man, who died after he suffered severe head injuries in an alleged armed assault in October.
"Detectives continuing investigations into that matter today charged a female, 49, and a male, 41, with murder and both of those people will appear in the Coffs Harbour Local Court this afternoon," Coffs Clarence Local Area Commander Superintendent Mark Holahan said.
"They have been persons of interest for a while and police have been conducting ongoing investigations which have led us to where we are today," Supt. Holahan said.
Police allege the man was bashed with a metal bar and a piece of timber during an altercation with three people outside a house on the corner of Edgar and Collingwood streets on Sunday, October 28 just after 4.30pm.
The 50-year-old man later died in Newcastle's John Hunter Hospital on Tuesday, October 30 after he was airlifted from Coffs Harbour in a critical condition suffering severe head trauma.
Another man, James Moore, 26, who was arrested and charged with murder, just days after the alleged assault remains before the courts.
Since the man's death, Coffs Harbour detectives have also used security footage to identify two men, who may have witnessed the alleged attack from the other side of the road.