Blind cord accidents are a parent’s worst nightmare

PARENTS have been warned to keep blind cords out of reach of young children, after a near tragedy near Kempsey at the weekend when a 17-month-old boy was hospitalised.

Police said the toddler was found unconscious in his bedroom on Sunday around 11.30am.

It is believed he became tangled in the cord while playing in his cot and was rushed to Kempsey District Hospital before being airlifted to Newcastle's John Hunter Hospital.

This latest incident follows the tragic death of a 15-month-old girl in Sydney.

The girl became tangled in a blind cord last month.

NSW Health authorities have warned parents blind cords which are looped at the end can easily act like a noose when children run and trip or babies grab nearby blinds or curtains.

One to two Australian children die after being strangled by blind or curtain cords each year.

If residents have blind cords installed prior to 2003 they are urged to cut or replace the looped cords.