BAD YEAR: Christmas camping went terribly wrong and so did the New Year for this Curra woman
BAD YEAR: Christmas camping went terribly wrong and so did the New Year for this Curra woman Trevor Veale

Bad Christmas, dangerous New Year and now jail

A CURRA woman will be off the road for six months, with six months' jail hanging over her head, after she pleaded guilty to double domestic violence charges and high-level drink driving.

It was all part of a less than merry Christmas and an extremely unhappy new year for the woman and her now-defunct relationship.

The woman, 32, who cannot be named under domestic violence laws, pleaded guilty to two domestic violence order breaches, one of them involving an attack with a small garden hoe.

Gympie Magistrates Court yesterday heard the woman and her then partner had been camping at Inskip Point when, in the early hours of Christmas morning, she and the man had a verbal disagreement which breached the good behaviour requirements of a Domestic Violence Order taken out against her.

That was between 12.30am and 2.30am and their argument prompted others to call police to make sure they were OK, police told the court.

Both were heavily intoxicated and police intercepted her car on Tin Can Bay Rd at Toolara, where she registered a blood alcohol reading of 0.158 per cent, the court was told.

Her daughter, 7, was in the car at the time.

Police drove the woman and her daughter home to make sure they arrived safely.

Then, on January 3, the couple had another argument at her Curra home.

They wrestled as the man attempted to leave and she then attacked him with a small garden hoe.

It was a child's implement, but had a wooden handle and a metal head and was dangerous, magistrate Chris Callaghan said.

The woman hit the man in the back of the head, causing a laceration and then, when he raised his arm to protect himself from further attack, she struck him with the blade of the hoe, causing a "deep defensive wound" to his forearm.

Her solicitor told the court she had been thrown to the ground at Inskip Point and was driving home to escape.

She had demanded he leave her home and was enraged when she saw him pick up money she thought was hers.

Mr Callaghan suspended her jail sentence for two years.